Tuesday 10 July 2012

Welcome

Welcome - Introduction and Mission Statement



Hello and welcome to my new blog. This is just a brief introduction to let you know what kind of things I'll be posting and what the general kind of aims this blog has. Hopefully I'll be changing a few things round on the blog sooner rather than later, it's still very early on and there's plenty of time for the cosmetic stuff to take place. One of the first things to go will be the background. Whilst I do think that graffiti is great form of public art and that if you search amongst the profanities hard enough, you can find some oddly poetical pieces, I do not think the background doesn't really show this and kind of distracts away from the theme of the blog (it is however the best I can do at this strange hour without completely abandoning the blog right now).


graffiti poem
An example of poetical graffiti.
Created by cancer survivors to convey the emotions felt during treatment.
(c) 2005 - The San Francisco Chronicle
Dawn Yun, Special to The Chronicle
Friday, February 4th, 2005 

OK, so this blog is basically going to be a celebration of poetry and prose that is displayed in one form or another in the public domain. I will be looking mostly at things that have been done on the street and in public places, as opposed to internet posts and the like. I will also be attempting to create and leave poems of my own in public places. Whether or not I'll be telling which pieces are mine and which are not remains to be seen, one thing I guess you should know from the off is that; when it comes to my own writing, I'm a coward.  Basically I just hope you manage to derive some kind of entertainment from this blog but if I manage to inspire you at all, well, then I will feel that I've actually achieved something with this half thought out experiment.


Link to the story about art created by cancer survivors (pictured above) here.



No comments:

Post a Comment