Monday 16 July 2012

Austin Kleon and Blackout Poetry

Austin Kloen

In an earlier post I let it be known that I'm abit of a coward when it comes to my own writing, I should also tell you that I also have a total lack of orginality. I think (and hope) that both these attributes come from being a beginner. I haven't been experimenting with creative writing and poetry for very long and have followed no formal education into the subject, instead electing to follow maths and science through my school and university studies. Therefore I'm kind of hoping that bravery and originality will start to flourish in me as I start to grow as a writer. I currently see my foray into the world of writing as a sort of education into the subject, whether I pass or fail will have to be seen later, but for now I'm just enjoying writing and reading everything I can get my hands on.




It was whilst searching for poetry to read that I can across Austin Kleon and his newspaper blackout poetry. The above video is from PBS Newshour and is featured on Kleon's website, which you can visit here. It seemed like a pretty original idea and looked fun so I decided to have a go myself.

Blackout Poetry

Here's my version of a newspaper blackout poem taken from the July 10, 2012 edition of KM Extra:


My version of a blackout poem. Taken from KM Extra July 10 2012.
Original story by Gerry Warren.


I've also typed the poem below for easier reading:


Campaign, debate, trail


Demand the city council to hold a full debate.
Petition for reassessment.
Trigger a discussion.
Start a run for real human impact,
Particulary when you listen to people's lives becoming a misery.
Debate.
Create.
Together with other groups,
Step in the right direction.
Urge the council to make a truly informed choice.
Step towards improving.
Believe.


You can read the original story in kentonlines digital edition of the newspaper here.

No comments:

Post a Comment